SkyFi and SkyFi2 questions
Ron M.
2006-01-08 18:05:24 UTC
Exactly when did the SkyFi2 become available to consumers? Also, I was
wondering if the SkyFi and SkyFi2 are interchangeable with respect to what
all peripherals they will dock with? As an example, would a SkyFi dock in
the home audio system that comes with a SkyFi2 'Value Pack'? Just curious.

Ron
Craig
2006-01-08 19:02:13 UTC
"Ron M." wrote...
Post by Ron M.
Exactly when did the SkyFi2 become available to consumers? Also, I was
wondering if the SkyFi and SkyFi2 are interchangeable with respect to what
all peripherals they will dock with? As an example, would a SkyFi dock in
the home audio system that comes with a SkyFi2 'Value Pack'? Just curious.
Ron
Ron,

I've had a SkyFi for about a year now with the home kit. A month ago as
part of XM's Membership Appreciation sale*, I obtained a SkyFi2 with car kit
for a great price by committing to a minimum of 6 months service at the
Family Rate (2+ radios) of $6.99/mo per radio for Radio #2, etc. I'm not
sure of the exact date for SkyFi2's arrival to consumers but think it was
just a few months ago.

The SkyFi2 radio works perfectly in my SkyFi home kit. I believe I've read
that all components are fully interchangeable between the SkyFi and SkyFi2
although the SkyFi2's owner's manual states: "We do not recommend using the
old SkyFi Vehicle Adapter Kit (SA10002) with the SkyFi2 since the SA10102
has been specifically designed to maximize the performance of the SkyFi2."
One potential issue in using the old car kit is that it's possible that when
using the SkyFi2's built-in FM transmitter to get into your vehicle's AM/FM
radio that the old SkyFi car kit's docking station, antenna cable or antenna
isn't optimized for FM transmissions. (The FM signal from the SKyFi2 is
emitted from the SkyFi2's mini-micro antenna, the one that also brings in
the satellite signal.) The only other problem I see is that the remote
controls are different since the SkyFi2 has additional features in the radio
and remote.

Craig

* This sale ended 12/31/05. Sadly for me, my SkyFi2 and car kit arrived
defective and I had to send the car kit back for a replacement--the car kit
lost its ability to detect an antenna or signal, probably a loose wire in
the docking unit. XM has acknowledged receiving my FedEx-ed defective car
kit on December 12 and has yet to send me a replacement in spite of repeated
phone calls. Grr!
Ron M.
2006-01-08 22:19:35 UTC
Post by Craig
"Ron M." wrote...
Post by Ron M.
[...]
Thanks for the information Craig! I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Ron